Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Danette Jasper





Name: Danette Jasper

Location:
Everett, Washington.

How long have you been natural? In June it will be six years since I have been natural.

Profession:
I am an Independent Beauty Consultant with Mary Kay and a stay at home mom.

What made you decide to go natural?
I made the decision to become natural because my relaxed hair was unhealthy, fried, dry, and not growing. I was very curious about what my natural texture looked like since I started receiving relaxers at age five. I was also tired of getting touch ups every 6 to 8 weeks, just basically looking for something more low maintenance. My cousins hair was natural, she transitioned in high school, and thought to myself, "If she can do it, I can do it too." My natural experience has been very good, it started out a little rough in the beginning with me just relearning my hair and trying to figure out how to maintain the look. After the first year, it was pretty much smooth sailing from there.

How have you changed since becoming natural?
Since becoming natural I do feel that I am looked at differently, just because I choose not to relax my hair. For most black women that would be unheard of just because we've been trained to think that we have to relax our hair in order to fit in and be beautiful. I feel more confident about my hair, and I have a better sense of who I really am.

How has your hair changed since becoming natural? My hair grows a lot faster in its natural state than it ever did when it was relaxed and it is much more low maintenance than dealing with touch ups, curling irons, etc. My texture is very soft, I have very small spiral curls that are very springy and bouncy. My hair loves water, it looks the best when it is shiny and full of moisture.

What is you maintenance routine? Most days I will wet my hair in the shower or the sink, pat/air dry, and then use some olive oil hair dress or a moisturizer and comb it through my hair. I definitely have to use Pro Styl around my edges to help lay them down.

What is your favorite styles?
My daily hair style is usually a curly afro, sometimes, combed out, sometimes not. After cutting the three inches of relaxer off of my hair, in one year, my hair went from too short for a pony tail, to being to the middle of my back when I straightened it. That was possible because I mostly kept heat off of my hair, and detangled once a week. Drinking a lot of water helped also.

Products you cant live without: The products that I can't live without are Pro Styl brown gel, Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioner and Profectiv Mega Growth Lotion. A big wide tooth detangling comb is essential, I wouldn't be able to detangle my hair without it, and a good hard bristled brush for smoothing in to pony tails. Also, kind of old school, but an unused tooth brush is a must have for smoothing edges with gel. My favorite style is a variation of the afro puff. I use giant rubber bands or head bands to pull my hair back, give it a different twist with a side or diagonal part and gel. Very quick and simple.

Advise for others thinking of going natural?
For any woman who is interested in growing natural, being natural really is a way of life. Its not just a hair style, it is a way of thinking. Also be prepared to relearn how to take care of your hair. Some of the remedies and tricks used on relax hair are not going to work on natural hair because of the different textures, and just be patient, you will happy you did.

How can we contact you?
I can be found on Facebook- Danette Jasper, and I also have a fan page- Danette Jasper with Mary Kay cosmetics.

Anything additional you'd like to say? I want black women to learn to love their hair, and for us to not wish that we had hair like other people, just be grateful for what God gave us naturally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home