Tuesday, May 18, 2010

To define curls or not to define curls? That is the question

I often here, "what products should I use to define my curls?". There are lots of products available on the market to enhance and define curls, and a lot of them work! But there is a catch.... They are not natural! That brings me to another question. Why did you go on this journey? Was it because you like the look of natural hair, because you didn't want the chemicals from relaxers, because its the "in" thing to do right now, or some other random reason?
If the answer to that question is because you wanted to rid yourself of the chemicals from relaxers, my next question is why you use all these products on your natural hair that contain chemicals? Seems like an oxymoron, I know but its something that I'm trying to get an understanding on. We brag about being natural, but really and truly, we are not natural!

True natural hair products contain natural ingredients like essential oils, butters, herbs, honey, etc.... Now, I can't give you the hype that it's going to give you super bouncy curls and its going to make your hair appear to be something its not. But what I can tell you is that natural products are the best for your natural hair, it helps it maintain your natural integrity. You will have super healthy, fast growing, thick and beautiful natural hair!

If that's not what you want, this natural lifestyle may not be for you! Because again, if your hair is natural, and you are still using chemicals to become something you are not, you are not truly natural.

I was guilty too, once upon a time!

Queen Natural Beauty
Stephanie D

4 Comments:

At May 18, 2010 at 5:41 PM , Blogger Mz.Shonda said...

Well im new to being natural and im still learning.becoming natural was something i anticapated for about 3years but i was afraid of the process but after doing research i finally made up my mind but im still learning and trying to figure out what works for my hair and im going to be truthful the only thing i know i will stick with is the cocunut milk shampoo and conditioner but other than that im lost and still trying to figure out but between youtube and fb im learning alot Thanks to people like you......

 
At May 18, 2010 at 8:08 PM , Anonymous Imani Christopher said...

I feel the same way... I am also new to the natural lifestyle. I got SO tired of relaxing my hair EVERY month. I can remember being younger and having all that thick, pretty hair... But over time, with all the relaxing and dying, my hair has become thin and brittle. I would give ANYTHING to have my childhood hair back. But I am having a really hard time finding ALL NATURAL products to use. In two weeks I will be one month post relaxer and I can already see my wavy locks coming in!! Hopefully, with a little more research and experimentation (not to mention some extra cash), I will be able to start replacing my hair care products with things that nature intended. :)

 
At May 18, 2010 at 10:09 PM , Anonymous Danette Jasper said...

I have been natural for six years and have had people suggest that I use a texturizer to define my curls, but thankfully, I have never done. I used to think that if I found something to loosen my curls but hair would be easier to manage, but I love my natural texture without any help from texturizers or "natural relaxers". I think that if you use anything that changes the natural texture of your hair, you can't really say that you are natural.

 
At May 22, 2010 at 2:23 PM , Blogger LaNeshe said...

You make a really good point here.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home